Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Giroux talking about politics and pedagogy

Hi all - Check out the link I have set up that takes you to Youtube video of Henry Giroux and other critical theorists. These are 5 minute videos where Giroux and others talk about Freire, NCLB, 9/11 Iraq and corporate greed. I will bring more of this stuff to class. Giroux, in particular, has done a lot of work around critical readings of movies and what they say about race, class, gender and schooling..check it out...The other clips are other examples of critical work. The talking heads are people like Naomi Klein who are challenging dominant messages being sent through the media. Some of the questions I have been thinking about are: How can we expose kids to this kind of critical analysis in developmentally appropriate ways that gets them thinking about the advertising, media, images and information they are being bombarded with on a daily basis? What is the role of the teacher in this effort?? How can we think about using technology in the classroom as a tool to develop children's critical mind?

5 comments:

cbolick said...

Cool resource! I've only dabble in you tube. This really has me thinking of educational applications......

juliekeane said...

Hey - Jim was telling me that there is a class that is being entirely taught through youtube!!! I will see if he found her or not it would be fun to check out!

CWalker said...

Thought provoking. Self-assessment is an under rated practice. I must constantly check my teaching practices to promote the best practices. Educators have the responsibility to be experts in our field, no one can do this for us.

Giroux remarks regarding NCLB are clear and to the point.

JB said...

"How can we expose our kids..." I think this might be something that must be discussed one on one with kids on a regular basis when the time is right. However, I do think it is really important to stress thought on this level with kids in the classroom as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's all fun and games til your kid becomes a mindless consumer.

Fernanda said...

YouTube opens doors, perhaps too many doors for K-12 classroom application. But, see it as big asset for adult classes/ teacher education. I keep going back to Giroux's Rage & Hope site. Thanks!